Posts Categorized: Local history

Bollards

New bollards in Anglers Lane You may have noticed that, following the rather superior repaving of Anglers Lane, Camden have replaced all the non matching bollards and we now have an immaculate gleaming matching set. This may seem a rather disproportionate use of the very limited funds that Camden has but we gather that it… Read more »

Conservation Area Statement available here

Most of our area is a Conservation Area.   During the period that was introduced Camden created a Conservation Area Statement which is a splendid document which give a history of the area and then goes through each street giving an architects and planners perspective on the buildings.  It is well written and illustrated.  It has… Read more »

History of the area through maps: 1870+1916

There are two historic Ordnance Survey Maps that are out of copyright and may therefore be legally copied. The 1870 map is a wonderful map with very informative detail which rewards enlarging on the photocopier. It shows our area completed in the north east but slightly unfinished in the south west. Grafton has still not… Read more »

History of the area through maps: 1849+1860

The 1849 and 1860 maps really show the sudden development of the area. There are no details of the source of the maps. They are clearly the same map which has been added to 11 years on. They seem to be planning maps with some details sketched in – possibly in advance of the actual… Read more »

History of the area through maps: 1834

The 1834 map shows some development but really very little has changed in 30 years. Two breweries are shown at the end of Mansfield Place – presumably using the River Fleet. Grapes Place has been built, going south from Mansfield Place. This is now lost in the industrial area there. The area of Spring Place… Read more »

History of the area through maps: 1801

The first historic map of the area is the wonderful 1801 map. There is quite an extensive history behind this map and its companion 1804 version. Camden History Review 7 has an article by Anthony Cooper which describes how in June 1792 the parish decided to commission a map of the parish and the work… Read more »